Calling all referees - and those that want to be. EDMHA is looking for youth and adult on-ice officials for the upcoming season.
Being an on-ice official is a great way to engage in the sport of hockey and truly gives you a different perspective of the game.
- Learn in depth the rules of hockey.
- Opportunities to develop skating abilities and hockey sense.
- Build confidence through decision making and conflict resolution.
- The costs of officiating courses and recertification for EDMHA officials are eligible for reimbursement.
- Be physically active on the ice while getting paid!
EDMHA has a primary need for adult officials who would be able to assist with games involving the older age groups. If you are new to officiating and have concerns about starting with the older age groups, do not worry as there are opportunities to gain experience. New officials will have opportunities to be involved with younger age groups as well to work on positioning, making calls, and build confidence. At the older age levels, new officials will start as a linesperson and then can transition to a referee, all while being coached and mentored from both on and off the ice.
Youth officials must be 12 years or older as of December 31st of the playing year and are eligible to officiate an age level lower than what they are playing.
If you are interested in being an on-ice official with EDMHA or for more information please contact our Referee-In-Chief Steve Gair at [email protected]
Returning officials are also asked to contact Steve with your intention to return.